Détroit 1764 (via Boston rare maps)
La rivière du Détroit depuis le lac Sainte Claire jusqu'au lac Erié
Jacques-Nicolas Bellin (1703-1772)
Founded in 1701 by French-Canadian settlers under Antoine de la Motte Cadillac, Detroit occupied a critical location on the Detroit River between Lakes Erie and Huron. Captured by the British during the French and Indian War, by the 1760s it had grown to some 800 inhabitants, making it the largest population center between Montreal and New Orleans.
Detroit may be seen on the north bank of the river near its head at Lac Ste. Claire. It is shown surrounded by settlers’ farms, many taking the typical French Canadian form of long, narrow strips running inland from the water
Jay’s Treaty (1796) ... brought Detroit under American control.
The town was almost completely destroyed in an 1805 fire